Insurance Coverage for Being Abroad Less Than a Year

If you are going to be abroad less than a year, your best option may be short-term health coverage. Whereas a long-term health plan has annual renewable coverage, it tends to cost more than a short-term plan.

WellAway’s Short Term Plan is the ideal choice for you if:

  • You are dwelling in the U.S.A. for 3-11 months
  • You do not qualify for ACA; Unable to apply for Affordable Care Act (ACA), also called Obamacare, coverage because you missed Open Enrollmentand you don’t qualify for Special Enrollment
  • Waiting for your ACA coverage to start
  • Looking for coverage to bridge you to Medicare
  • Turning 26 and coming off your parent’s insurance
  • Between jobs or waiting for benefits to begin at your new job
  • Healthy and under the age of 80

Our Short Term plan also includes worldwide coverage as well as access to our 24/7 Conciergecare services.

If you have any pre-existing conditions or chronic health issues, you may need a more robust plan, such as our New American or OneWorld products. Although these plans may be a little bit more costly, if you anticipate that you need to utilize medical care when you are abroad, beyond an emergency situation, it is more financially beneficial to purchase a plan with more coverage.

For more information on our health plans and assistance in selecting the best product for your needs, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at  +1 441 296 0651, at or visit, we are happy to help.